Monday, October 20, 2008

Aaron and Mrs. Bush

Some guy named Aaron has a website, http://trailertrashtraveler.com. It is about him and his travels in an RV and on this site he's got a blog. Well one of his posts is about Mrs. Laura Bush and her "flying" Airstream and if you know anything about the 50's and 60's or about RVs then you'll know that Airstreams were, and in some opinions still are, the top of the line in luxury.

He says, "When First Lady Laura Bush toured Afghanistan in June to visit troops, she traveled from place to place in comfort, even though she was aboard a bare bones troop carrier aircraft. A specially outfitted Airstream trailer was loaded onto the plane, named the Strom Thurmond after the long-time U.S. Senator.

PHOTO: The First Lady’s flying Airstream inside the aircraft ‘Home Sweet Flying Home’
The comfy RV was complete with luxury wood paneling, TV, DVD player and two beds. But even more importantly, it included black out window shades so Mrs. Bush could imagine she was wherever she wished - Yellowstone, Yosemite, the lawn of the White House, anywhere but high over the War on Terror. The Airstream is just one of 11 such ‘Senior Leader In Transit Conference Capsules’ the government plans to position at various spots around the globe.
It’s good to see that our tax payer dollars are going to such important things as luxury flying RVs… Thank you for another home run Mr Bush… (Thank God he’s only got a few more months to screw things up…)"


I personally try not to get into politics for the simple reason that it is politics and everyone has a different view on how they should be handled. However, I do think that it is amazing that Mrs. Bush is able to put her Airstream on a plane and hide out there when the desert heat gets too hot. As for the comment about the eleven other Airstreams being placed strategically around the world, fine. I'm sure the White House has had those Airstreams since they were shiny brand new and have just been remodeled many times since then. It makes me think of a saying, "If you got it use it." I know I would.

I personally have never been in one, but I have seen the way the owners who are proud to own one take care of them. I happened to live next to a guy in the last park that owned an Airstream motor home but he just wasn't as proud of his home or something because he never washed the salty fog water off, and he never tried to stop the rust that was eating away at the beautiful silver-ish exterior. I don't know about his circumstances as to why he never did any of the upkeep but I know if I am ever lucky enough to own one I would definitely keep it in as pristine condition as I possibly could.

No comments: